Hard as it may be to believe, another hot summer is just two months away. That means greater reliance on groundwater supplies, which here in Austin remain at critical levels. The Stage 2 Regulations implemented in September 2012 are still very much in force and will be for the foreseeable future.
Here are some of the more important points to remember, courtesy of the Austin Water Utility website:
- Your watering day (one per week) is determined by property type as well as whether the street address ends in an even or odd number. Check http://austintexas.gov/department/stage-2-watering-restrictions for specifics.
- Hose-end irrigation (as through sprinklers) can take place between midnight and 10AM and again between 7PM and midnight on your assigned watering day.
- Automatic irrigation systems can operate between midnight and 5AM and again between 7PM and midnight on your watering day.
- Hand watering with a garden hose or refillable vessel such as a bucket can take place anytime and on any day of the week. Drip irrigation and the use of soaker hoses and tree bubblers are also exempt from this schedule.
- Washing vehicles at home is prohibited: go to a carwash facility instead. Charity car washes are also prohibited.
- Fountains with either a fall or spray of water greater than four inches are prohibited unless strictly necessary to preserve aquatic life.
If you are in violation of any of these restrictions, you will first receive a warning. A second violation will result in an administrative fine (which starts at $75 for homeowners and $200 for commercial enterprises) and increases with every repeated offence and more severe drought conditions.
South Austin Irrigation can help you make the most of Austin’s most precious resource: water. We can advise you on the best way to water your lawn and garden and provide everything you need to upgrade your irrigation system. For a more beautiful landscape any time of the year, contact us today!